Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Today is the day! June 5th is finally here!



Polls opened just minutes ago here in California for our Presidential primary, which hasn't been helped by the fact that the primary process now seems like an afterthought, having been settled a while ago.

The general election will pit Mitt Romney, the moderate Mormon from Massachusetts, against Barack Obama, a social agitator from the Democratic Party Machine of Chicago, Illinois.

Thrills galore.

I myself am facing an election today. By midnight tonight I should know my fate. It will either be the start of a long, glorious career in politics, or it might be the end of it.

If I lose, would I throw a Nixon-like tantrum and swear off of politics forever?
Probably not. I've lost two elections already, and it didn't stop me from trying again.

Barack Obama ran for U.S. Congress in 2000. He lost by a 2-1 margin. The voters in his District preferred Democratic Machine politician Bobby Rush. But Obama didn't quit. Instead, he tried for the much more audacious attempt at running for U.S. Senate in 2004. He was going to lose that election until a sexual scandal imploded the campaign of his opponent Jack Ryan, who dropped out of the race late in the game.

You can't win unless you try. And you have to keep trying.
Sometimes, you will get a lucky bounce.

Politics is a cyclical, finicky and tricky business.
Things can change in a heartbeat.
Power can shift suddenly.

Both Lech Walesa and Nelson Mandela spent considerable time inside of jail or prison cells, yet they went on to become the unrivaled and deeply admired leaders of their nations.

Yeah, that is exactly how crazy politics is.

In other news, astrological fans will witness the Transit of Venus this evening as the sun sets.

Do I see this as a sign that an astrological phenomenon happens on my election day?

Am I that "once-in-a-hundred-years" political figure?

I don't know. Maybe.

The voters will let me know tonight.

I don't believe in fate, but I do believe in Providence.

I don't believe that it is an accident that we are all here doing what we do.

In another side note, June 5th also marks the long awaited release of "Smokey and the Bandit" on Blu Ray.

Win or lose, I will be relaxing later tonight with a newly-purchased copy of this film.

But with all these things converging on a single day, I can't help but feel that maybe today will be my day.

I will let you know tomorrow.

I don't think I will even have to stay up that late tonight.