Monday, June 14, 2010

Mosque at WTC site = McVeigh part 2


I am one of those Americans who is loudly saying "No" to the concept of building a Mosque at the former site of the World Trade Center in New York City. Even though the planned new Mosque is not being built directly on top of the former site --- it is planned for two blocks away -- it is still close enough to rile the sensibilities of the families of those who died there at the hands of Muslim fanatics on September 11, 2001.

As a Conservative, I always support freedom. Even though I am not a fan of Islam, I respect the rights and freedoms of others to practice this religion if they so desire. However, freedom to worship this religion doesn't mean they have the freedom to infringe on the rights of others.

I have been in Muslim countries, and I can tell you that the 5-times-daily call to prayer that blasts out from their minarets is somewhat annoying, and would not be allowed here in America because it interferes with the rights of others. When I was in Turkey and in Israel, I found the 4:30 a.m. call the most annoying. Most people are still in bed at that time. Of course, in Muslim countries, they don't have democracy -- so infringing on the rights of the individual is something that doesn't even enter their minds.

I'm not saying they can't worship Islam, even though I find that religion offensive.
I'm not saying they can't build a Mosque somewhere in New York City.
I just think a Mosque at the former WTC site is a bad idea.

Doesn't anyone remember Timothy McVeigh? The guy who blew up the Federal Building in Oklahoma City?
I think a Mosque at the WTC site might provoke another Timothy McVeigh.
You never want to make plans based on the fear of something, however in this situation I think a compromise might be the best idea.

Too many people are offended by the idea, and too many family members are still suffering from the pain of losing loved ones on 9/11. A Mosque at the WTC site would be a provocation. A slap in the face.

Build it somewhere else.