Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame...


Strangely enough, I am becoming a huge fan of the University of Notre Dame.

Why?

Because Notre Dame has sued the Obama Administration, and they are going to win.

For many, many years I had disliked Notre Dame.

When I was a young kid living in Alabama, my father was a faculty member at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. As a faculty member, he got tickets to Alabama football games and took me to many of the home games.

I remember a period in the late 70s when Alabama lost several crucial games to Notre Dame that affected their chances for a National Championship. I had developed an intense dislike for Notre Dame ever since.

However, I respect the Fighting Irish brand and what they have achieved as a Catholic school. In fact, as a graduate of a Big Ten university (Wisconsin) I someday hope to be welcoming Notre Dame into our conference, which would be a perfect fit for all involved.

Now, as Notre Dame fights against the tyranny of Barack Obama and his meddling with religious freedom, I can't help but find myself rooting for a school that I formerly hated.