Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Indy 500 - Minus Danica


Today is one of my favorite days of the year, every year.

Memorial Day weekend not only honors our war dead, but also kicks off summer vacations for many families.... especially those with school children.

The Indianapolis 500 race is one of my favorite events, and I hope to attend in person someday.

Although I will be a little sad this year to not see Danica Patrick racing. She switched to NASCAR racing this year full time after giving it a part-time tryout last year.

She was one of my favorites. I was happy to see her do so well in 2005, actually leading the race with less than 20 laps to go. I remember the announcers going crazy with the thought that she could win it and revolutionize motor racing.

She will be missed, but other women are still in the race.

The tradition continues.

And what a grand American tradition it is.