Monday, April 4, 2011

Donald Trump for President? I don't know....



Here is a pretty good interview clip of Donald Trump explaining the reasons he might run for President in the Republican primaries in 2012.

I'm not saying that I support Trump, but I'm willing to listen to his propositions.

There are things I like about "The Donald", but there are some other things I don't like. I think all Republican voters are going to have to realize that most of our legitimate candidates have flaws, and we are not going to be able to get everything we want in a candidate out of one person.

The first item out of the gate to address: Is Trump serious?

Donald Trump is a master of the media and a master of self-promotion. He has made noises before about running for President, and then disappeared. Will this time be any different?

I tend to think Trump won't run, but he seems to be increasingly serious about filing papers.
Maybe he will. If ever there was a time for it, that time is now.
The Republican field is seen as weak and wide-open. And facing Barack Obama in the general election is a Republicans dream because Obama is an incompetent President who will have angered many voters with several years of high gas prices and high unemployment by the time the election rolls around.

Trump seems to be gaining momentum from Republican voters who are desperate to remove the current resident of the White House. Trump has big money and big name recognition. If he jumps into the race, Tim Pawlenty and Ron Paul and some of the other 2012 pretenders might as well close up shop.

On to the next big question...

CAN TRUMP WIN?

Actually, I think he can. If you watch this video, Trump really knows business and understands financial markets and how America really works. He isn't afraid to admit that we need to pursue more oil resources. He understands trade imbalances and currency manipulation. In a potential 2012 campaign against Barack Obama, he would provide a clear, compelling, and competent alternative. Barack Obama had never been in charge of anything before becoming President. His lack of experience shows and harms our country in multiple ways every day.

The biggest question Republican voters have to ask themselves is...

Is Trump the right candidate for our party?

This is the tough question where I have problems with Trump.

Trump has donated money to some really nasty lefties... Anthony Weiner, Charlie Rangel!, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Shumer, etc... But of course, Trump will dismiss these items as being a standard practice of businessmen who are playing both sides of the street ... just to be safe.

Trump says he is "pro-life" , but will respect the law as it stands regarding abortion.
That is a soft answer that I don't like.

I have also heard stories that Trump has filed for bankruptcy several times in the past. I'm not sure if this is true, but if it is, then I find that extremely dishonorable. Any man who has hundreds of millions of dollars should pay off all his creditors.

I also have an almost secretive worry that Trump might be doing this in order to benefit himself financially.
I can imagine him steering large government contracts towards companies that he owns stock in.

Trump is a clever capitalist who uses the system to his advantage.

Republican primary voters will have their say on Trump if he runs in 2012.

Trump is not my top choice, but I'd gladly take him over the looter who currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.