Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Iron Lady


As a member of the Screen Actors Guild, I've been getting a lot of screeners mailed to me in recent weeks. The different studios are promoting their films in return for possible votes in the SAG Awards.

Great variety I've been getting in the mail ...The Artist, Moneyball, The Help, Bridesmaids. All films I hadn't gotten around to seeing in theaters.

Last night I watched a copy of "The Iron Lady" with Meryl Streep, which tells the story of how Margaret Thatcher rose through the ranks of the British Conservative Party to become the United Kingdoms first female Prime Minister, and one of the most powerful political leaders ever to take charge of any country in the world.

Streep is amazing and clearly did a lot of work for this role. The other ladies who are contending for Best Actress at the Oscars this year don't need to bother writing a speech.
Streep is a lock.

The film was inspirational, as I admire Thatchers tenacity, but one aspect I didn't like was its focus on her later years when she started losing her memory and had to be "handled" by officials assigned to care for her.

Overall, though....it was good work and will win many, many awards for Streep.