Friday, January 20, 2012

Newt Gingrich is a prick



I watched the sensational moment above last night and it dawned on me why so many Republican voters want Newt Gingrich to be the GOP Nominee in 2012.

Newt Gingrich is a prick.

And I say that with all the respect due of a man who might eventually become the nations 45th President.

Politics is not for the faint of heart. Leaders have to be willing to hurt the feelings of their voters. Leaders have to fire people. Ruin careers. Shatter hopes and dreams. Tell people they are not getting what they desperately want. Gingrich can do these things in his sleep.

Newt Gingrich is clearly the meanest, nastiest person the GOP could ever run against Barack Obama. His intensity level is off the charts. He holds lifelong grudges. He has a haters heart, and some voters seem to like that about him.

There is no doubt that Gingrich would run Obama through a meat grinder in the debates, and many GOP voters are practically salivating at the possibility of seeing that happen.

Me? Not so much.

I'll give Newt Gingrich credit for doing some Conservative things back in the 90's. He helped the Republicans re-take the House, which was huge. And he also seems to be willing to eliminate government programs like Obamacare.

My reasons for my mild dislike of Gingrich have to do with his love of Big Government policies and solutions. And his weakness and nutty policies towards illegal immigration. (Really, Newt!?! We can't deport 12 million illegals, but we can drag them, Gestapo-like, in front of some bizarre "community standards" board to decide their fate? Really Newt!?! Really?)

My interest in his personal life is non-existent.

I fully acknowledge his failings in his marriages and his infidelity. Relationships are tricky things and anybody can have a relationship that doesn't work out. I don't blame anyone for that.

However, I do question the integrity of a person who can't be honest with their spouse.

Could Newt Gingrich do the job of being President of The United States?

Absolutely. I have no doubts about his intelligence or capabilities to perform the job.

I just don't like the idea that while serving as our President, I could never trust that guy, or turn my back on him for five minutes.

I have already had that feeling for three years now.

I don't need it for four more years.