Sunday, February 26, 2012

Billy Crystal and the Oscars



I'm happy that tonight Billy Crystal will return to hosting the Oscars.

The guy who grew up pretending that his toothbrush was a microphone will have another chance to make a few billion people happy.

I think the key ingredient for Billy Crystal...what makes him such a great host... is love.

Crystal loves movies and loves hosting the Oscars.

That has been a crucial ingredient that has been missing the last few years.

The year that Anne Hathaway and James Franco hosted was an absolute bomb because they both acted like they didn't want to be there.

Crystal, on the other hand, acts like he wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

BEST PICTURE

I have a sneaky feeling they are going to give it to "The Artist" because that film is a love letter to the silent movie era. However, I would prefer if "The Help" or "Moneyball" were the winner. But I don't see that happening.

BEST ACTOR

I think they will give it to George Clooney for "The Descendants". He's kind of like the modern day Clark Gable.

BEST ACTRESS

I assume this is a home run for Meryl Streep. Her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher was amazing. I think there is a small chance Viola Davis could pull an upset...but only a slim chance.

Best Supporting Actor.... will probably go to Christopher Plummer or Max Von Sydow....rewarded for long carers of distinction.

Best Supporting Actress.... will go, I believe, to Octavia Spencer for "The Help". Her character was funny, charming, and memorable.

Best Director... might go to Terence Malick for his experimental film "Tree of Life".