CHARIOT RESEARCH RELEASES SPECIAL REPORT: [FULL REPORT IN ATTACHMENT]
MIKE GATTO RECEIVED $14755 PAYDAY ONLY DAYS AFTER SIGNING PERSONAL SERVICES CONTRACT WITH LA COUNCIL OFFICE OF NICK PACHECO
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 29, 2010
CONTACT: James Fisfis, firstname.lastname@example.org
Documents released by the City of Los Angeles raise questions about a Los Angeles personal services contract awarded in 2002 by Councilman Nick Pacheco to Mike Gatto, a California Assemblyman now running for re-election as a taxpayer watchdog cracking down on abuses in municipal government.
According to the documents [ORIGINALS IN .PDF APPENDIX: EXHIBITS 1 & 2]:
- On September 19, 2002, Los Angeles City Councilman Nick Pacheco awarded Mike Gatto a six month, $15,000, labor-intensive “personal services contract.” During this time, FEC records show that Gatto was still serving as a campaign staffer in the thick of Brad Sherman’s re-election campaign – a position he began in April of that year.
- On October 9, 2002 - just 19 days later - Mike Gatto submitted an invoice claiming he had performed 227 hours of work under the contract at a rate of $65 per hour. The invoice amount: $14,755.00. [SEE EXHIBIT 1]
“These documents would raise questions in the minds of reasonable people as to whether Mike Gatto ever performed the work required under the contract. 227 hours is a lot of work to do in 19 days, especially while you are simultaneously immersed in a Congressional re-election campaign. These are only questions, and no allegations of wrongdoing are being made. We believe that Mike Gatto should have an opportunity to set the record straight.” – James Fisfis, President, Chariot LLC.
More questions arise from the documents released by the City of Los Angeles regarding Mike Gatto’s personal services contract.
- According to the contract language [SEE EXHIBIT 2], the in-depth analysis of constituent services required under the contract was to be performed by Gatto from September 15, 2002 through March 15, 2003. The contract required the submission of “monthly reports” by Gatto, and detailed “monthly invoices” pursuant to a work schedule. Yet, according to records released by the City Controller, Gatto submitted his $14,775.50 invoice on October 9, 2002 – not even one month into the contract.
- According to Los Angeles city records, Gatto’s personal services contract with Nick Pacheco was first presented to the Los Angeles City council on September 27, 2002 – eight days after it had already been signed.
- According to Los Angeles city records, Gatto’s personal services contract with Nick Pacheco was not approved until October 2, 2002, almost two weeks after it had been signed and just seven days before Gatto invoiced the city for nearly the full contract.
- According to FEC records, during the contract period September 15-November 15, 2002, Mike Gatto was a full-time campaign staffer. According to Congressional data, during the contract period after November 15, 2002 through March 15, 2002, Mike Gatto working full-time for the Congressional office of Brad Sherman.
***This research was not paid for by any candidate, committee, or party entity.***