Monday, October 25, 2010

Oropeza dies at 53. Stammreich victory possible



State Senator Jenny Oropeza died this week of health problems at age 53.
She suffered a blood clot and fluid buildup in her lungs.
It is a tragedy and I offer my condolences to her family.

It is an unusual and unlikely twist of events for my friend and fellow Republican activist John Stammreich.

Stammreich was in the middle of a hotly contested California Senate race with Oropeza.
Polling had Stammreich down by only a few points, but Oropezas death could turn everything around.
Her followers and campaign staff have to be thoroughly demoralized.
I don't think people are excited to go out and campaign for someone who will never be able to take the office.

I certainly hope John can pull off the difficult task of trying to be polite and courteous in the face of tragedy, yet still rally his troops for the fight to win that Senate seat.