Saturday, February 12, 2011

CPAC 2011 - Day 2




It was another exciting day at CPAC as some of the most powerful and popular Conservatives across the country gathered for their annual convention in Washington DC.

Newt Gingrich again overplayed his role as for the second straight year as he entered the ballroom to the stirring music of Survivors "Eye Of The Tiger". (I think this routine is starting to get a little corny). However, he was great at his speechmaking, pointing out that voters, in voting for Barack Obama, had voted in a government that was anti-business, anti-growth, high-regulation and high-bureaucracy. In the end, he asks, "How did you think that was going to work? Classic Newt. Great speaker.

I was really happy to see the great reception given to Senator John Thune of South Dakota. Thune is a solid conservative and one of my top 5 favorites to run for President in 2012.
Thune was greeted with chants of "Run, John, Run" as he started his speech.
He was powerful and convincing without overdoing it.
My entire conference was made by finally getting to see and meet Governor Rick Perry of Texas. Long time readers of The Jennerjahn Report know that I have been a vocal proponent of the Governor becoming President in 2012. My meeting with him was so important to me that I don't want to trivialize it with this quick blog post I'm doing as I head out the door to CPAC - Day 3. I will reserve my Rick Perry blogging to another post after I return to LA.

I also made it into the fancy dinner with Mitch Daniels that evening. Got a free ticket through a connection (Thanks John!)

I see why some are high on Mitch Daniels, but during the dinner I had an interesting conversation about Jeb Bush and his prospects for 2012.

I'm not for or against Jeb Bush, but the dinner guests made some good points last night that lead me to believe that he will be one of the top candidates in 2012.

There is a rumor going around that they will allow Colonel Allen West, the new Congressman from Florida, to be the final speaker tonight. Rumor also has it that Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey was supposed to be the final speaker, but he had scheduling issues and had to drop out.
Me personally, I'm hoping that Sarah Palin has dropped her feud with the CPAC organizers and will be the final speaker. Her daughters were spotted in the area, which leads me to think that she is around.