I've been doing some thinking about the upcoming special election to replace the retiring Jane Harman.
I've decided to ask the leaders at RPLAC to recruit actor Jon Voight to run in this special election.
There are several reasons for this.
1) Voight, as a celebrity actor, would receive national attention and almost unlimited access to the media.
2) Voight is a much better public speaker than either Janice Hahn or Debra Bowen.
3) Voight became a superstar among Conservative activists for his harsh criticisms of President Barack Obama, including this speech from a fundraising dinner where he labelled Barack Obama a "false prophet". Evangelicals couldn't get enough.
4) Voight could draw political donations from across the country. He could raise millions without spending a penny of his own money. He could then use that money to saturate the airwaves with television and radio ads.
5) There is always the possibility he could get his daughter, Angelina Jolie, to do an ad for him. Can you say media frenzy?
Now, there are reasons for Voight not to run, also. Mattie Fein ran in this District and got beat pretty convincingly.
Mattie was a good candidate. But Voight would be a great candidate.
The numbers are a little daunting, but this is a special election where few voters will travel to the polls.
Voters in California can be influenced by celebrity status.
We are the only state to have two former actors serve as Governor.
Voight could draw the casual voter...the non-interested voter.
He could win.
Now, does anyone have his agents phone number?
I've got a big part for him in a very large production.