Wednesday, February 9, 2011

CPAC 2011


I'm headed for the airport in just a few hours to depart for Washington. I'll be participating in CPAC, the largest gathering in the country of Conservative political figures.

Michele Bachmann, the Congresswoman from Minnesota, will be the kickoff speaker on Thursday.

It is a sign of her increased status and visibility in the Party that she is being asked to be the very first speaker.
She did well last year and she will have a much bigger crowd this year.

There is a side issue of some traditional groups boycotting this event because there will be a gay organization at CPAC. I think it is all a bit silly. Although many Conservatives hold traditional religious viewpoints about homosexuality being wrong, I think it is shortsighted to ignore the gays who want to be a part of the discussion.

I don't think a boycott is the right thing to do.

I'm very much against gay marriage, but I think a gay person should have every right to attend this conference.

I'll try to post updates both at this blog and at my Facebook page.